Helping Separate Emotions From Decisions
Divorce is an emotional issue. The advantage of working with a mature, responsible and fair family law attorney is that your attorney can help you see beyond the emotions to the better days that can lie ahead. It is not written anywhere that you must emerge from your divorce as a wounded shadow of your former self. You can emerge whole and strong and we can help you get there.
At the Law Office of Dattan Scott Dattan, we have been helping individuals enduring divorce since 1984. Our attorneys understand the peculiarities of divorce in Alaska and can help you with the full range of family law matters.
Anchorage Family Law Attorneys Serving Alaska
Some of those living in Alaska are transplants and may not be familiar with our laws. We would be happy to discuss your legal matters with you and answer any questions. In summary, the divorce and family law process works as shown below.
- Division of assets – In Alaska, the court presumes that the marital assets (acquired during marriage) will be divided equally during property settlement. We have experience with issues such as a QDRO (Qualified Domestic Relations Order) to divide retirement assets.
- Spousal support or alimony – In general, the court prefers that all financial matters are settled during the division of assets. Spousal support may be awarded for reorientation to the workforce or rehabilitation and, in some cases, may be awarded on a permanent basis.
- Child custody – The court favors 50/50 custody arrangements and does not favor removing a child from either parent. Out-of-state parental rights is an issue with which we are familiar. Our family law attorneys are completely familiar with all of the issues common during child custody determinations or custody disputes.
- Child support – In Alaska, there is a specific guideline (Civil Rule 90.3. Child Support Awards), which is non-negotiable. We can help you understand the guideline.
- Adoptions – Our lawyers would be pleased to help you accomplish a stepparent or grandparent adoption.
Domestic Violence And Divorcing Spouses
Whether our alcohol abuse or the lack of sunlight in the winter is to blame, Alaska has a very high rate of domestic violence. It is particularly common as couples consider divorce or when economic hardships are present. As attorneys with experience in both family law and criminal defense, we also have significant experience representing those involved in a domestic violence dispute, and in obtaining or fighting restraining orders.
Trust Us For Straight Answers ∙ Se Habla Español ∙ Nous Parlons Français
Since 1984, our law firm has been representing individuals with family law needs. Call (907) 276-8008 or contact our Anchorage law office for seasoned and effective representation from an Alaska divorce lawyer.